Wednesday, April 15, 2009

3 Weeks and Counting...

So we have had the chicks for 3 weeks now... I can't believe how fast they grow!!  Their little wings are starting to come in, and they are starting to have a whole lot of personality.  Marshall and I are having so much fun playing with them.  We go downstairs with them every day for at least a couple of hours.  We want to make sure that they feel like they are part of the family.  Marley is even starting to get along with them.  I was a little worried at first.  The little chicks look a bit like mice, and she likes to catch and eat mice.  The hardest part is that they peck at her, and she really, really doesn't like that at all.  I was keeping the chicks in the kennel and making Marley lay next to it with me and watch them.  But it wasn't until I started letting them out of the kennel and walking around the she finally figured out that they are alright.  That and they don't seem to be pecking at her quite as much now.  In the pics below they are 2 1/2 weeks old.  You can see their little wing and tail feathers coming in.

We decided today to bring them outside for their first trip, since it is 60+ outside today.  They were so cute, at first they didn't want to be anywhere except up in our hands and resting on our arms, but then I just made them go check out the grass.  After that, they were pretty keen on roaming around as long as they stuck together.  If one walked off a bit the other two would get upset and start really chirping.  I would say for their first outdoors adventure it was quite exciting.  


I started my veggie starts yesterday.  I have tomatillo, sugar snaps, candy carrots, and regular carrots, pickling cucumbers, radishes, green peppers, and jalapenos.  My mom has a ton of heirloom tomato seeds, so I will get those started this weekend.  I am also going to drive up to Greenbluff and buy a few year old raspberry bushes, and maybe a blackberry bush, and also another 6 strawberry plants.  I am just so excited to have a small garden this year.  We also have two apple trees(that we won't be getting any fruit off of for a couple of years), and two year old grape vines.  I think I am going to get another grape vine to have crawl up the coop, or maybe wisteria, I haven't decided yet.  Marshall should have the fence done after this weekend, or next.  Then the chicks will be able to head outside (that is if the coop is all done)  gotta have my dad come up and help us with that.  

Anyway, I am jut so excited for the spring weather, and to see everything wake up from our long cold winter... well just about everything, we have to spray the wasp nest, I saw a few of them flying around today.  I can deal with just about everything, but I really don't like to be stung!!

1 comment:

  1. Marley is so cute with those silly chickens!! I can not wait to see everything when I am back up!!

    ReplyDelete