Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Here goes nothing...

I figured for my first ever blog, I would start out by talking about who I am, and some of my favorite things...

Marshall, the love of my life.
We first met almost 4 years ago now, he was just a boy in a band, one that I had no interest in, mostly because I never wanted to be knows as "one of those girls," but thanks to Frankie (my pseudo big brother) I was really left with no choice.  We chatted on the phone here and there for about a year, I would drive to Seattle if his band was playing up there, but we didn't see each other much.  One day he said he would like to come and visit, and the rest is history.  This photo is from a trip that I made up to Seattle, when the Warriors were playing a show with Trial.  It was a crazy show, with so many people.  I can't even begin to describe how great it is to see Marshall up on stage.  He has this energy that I have seen so few people be able to create.  I know it sounds cheesy, but it is true.  I fell in love with him because of his passion, but not just his passion for music but for his family and friends,
his love for cooking, and mostly his ability to make anyone around him feel like a million bucks.  I really lucked out with Marshall, because he also happens to have a really great family.  I have become especially fond of Janice and Kelly who have really opened up their doors to me, and made me feel like I am part of their family right from the start.  I just feel so blessed to have them in my life.  They have really opened up my eyes to wanting to make a change in how I live my life.  Especially Janice, who is always blowing me away with her forward thinking, and zest to try new things.

I also have this little dog, Marley, she consumes just about all the rest of my time.  She is a little tiny Miniature Pinscher, topping the scales at 4 pounds.  She is 4 years old, and just as stubborn as her mom.  It has taken her a little bit of time to grow accustom to having Marshall around, but now she thinks of him as being part of the family.  Little does she know that soon enough, we will be adding a few chickens, and maybe even another dog.  I'm not so sure she is going to be very happy about that, but I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Lets see the other players... My very supportive family, who really deserves their own blog.  Let me just say, I have this sister who is an awe inspiring figure skater, who will soon be off galavanting across the world as a professional skater, and a brother who will soon be a house hold name when it comes to hockey.  I really couldn't be any more proud of 
a sister.  I really hit the jackpot with them!  My parents, both hard working and loving have been the best of role models for me.  Always pushing me to become the woman that they know that I can be.  

So for me... I am an art student with dreams of becoming a college art teacher.  What is really crazy is that up until two years ago, I didn't even know that I was an artist.  The drawing to the left is the first still life I had ever drawn, in my first ever drawing class.  I was really lucky to end up 
with Cindy Williams as a drawing teacher, and she pushed me to find my inner artist.  I'm not sure she even knows this, but she is my mentor.  Without the encouragement that she gave me I don't know if I would have even taken another art class!  I work with many types of mediums, and am open to try everything once.  I am even giving ceramics a try, though I have this thing about getting dirty, lets just say I will be using a whole lot of latex gloves this quarter.  My mom is always telling stories about how even as a little girl, I was always the one who came home clean.  Funny considering I am awful
at keeping my room clean even now as an adult.

But all of this really is just the tip of the iceberg.  I started this blog because I am in the process of trying to learn how to live a more sustainably, it started with a little herb garden, and a couple of tomato plants, and has expanded into a dream of a full garden, grape vines, apple trees and all!  I even obsess over composting, till I am sure that I am driving Marshall insane!  Then last year while visiting Janice and Kelly in Seattle I saw that they were thinking about getting chickens.  I had chickens once, I hatched them for a science project.  Speaking of, after all of my researching I have come to realize... I sure didn't do much for that project other than hatch those eggs.  Thanks dad!  I couldn't have done any of it without you.  Back to the chickens, I have spent many hours looking at different styles of coops, what kind of chickens will do the best here in our Spokane weather.  I have most of my answers, I know I want a coop with a green roof, I know the kind of chickens I want, and I know where we are going to put it in the back yard.  Now all we need to do is get building!  Then I am sure I will have dozens of questions!

So Welcome to my little blog.  It seems that I have decided that this is where I am going to journal about all of my crazy adventures, art, boyfriend, chickens and what not.  This way my friends and family who don't have myspace or facebook will still be able to read about what I am doing.  

Talk soon,
Alicia Jane 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I hope you are still planning to blog about your plans, etc!

    What kind of chickens are you thinking about raising?

    I also am interested in your coop plans.

    Keep on blogging!

    ReplyDelete